2012-05-31

personal best

runkeeper informed me today that i have made a new record in terms of monthly distance -- 301,2 km. it sounds like a lot at first but when you break it down it is about 10 km a day -- not that excessive in my opinion. it is apparent that i haven't paid that much attention to long runs, and now that i have taken them back into my weekly schedule i would expect the monthly distances to further increase during the summer. 


i am, however, more than glad that i have been able to amp up my mileage from the very sad 9,7 km that i ran in february 2011 due to suffering from a stress fracture. i remember how awful i felt at the time, and how frustrated; the envy that emerged every time i saw people running and not being able to do so myself. now, being ok again and being able to run as much as i please those feelings are but a distant memory, and the prospect of that kind of situation to take place again doesn't seem very possible -- and of course it is. the truth is that when you are healthy and in an ok condition it is so easy to take it for granted, the empowering feeling that nothing can touch you -- when in actual fact the situation is quite the opposite.


health is one of the most important things one can have. you can do your share for it, choose your actions so as to keep it up and support it, but there are factors involved you cannot affect; sometimes you get ill or injured even if you did your very best not to. i try therefore to be grateful of my health and my ability to use my body as i choose; i know that some day i might be less fortunate. for me, personally, the best way to express this gratitude is to do just that -- enjoy the freedom of movement my health gives me; it is, after all,  the best i can do. 





No comments: