2013-01-22

morning person

i changed my routines a bit today. 

my normal run on a weekday morning is between 10  to 12 kilometres; i do this every day minus one. on the other day of the weekend i usually do my long run, and the other one is for yet another basic run or for a spinning class, depending on which day the long run takes place. in addition i practice ashtanga three or four times a week, and this is do in the evenings.

now, i am well aware that yoga practice is recommended to be done in the morning for various reasons, but i have never been really bothered by the evening practice - on the contrary, i am a bit stiff in the mornings so i have found it easier for me this way.

today, however, i broke the pattern a bit. i did a short run in the morning, about 5 kilometres, to warm up and went to the shala after that. i have to say i was not convinced, and i almost decided to go in the evening instead - i did a  morning practice last saturday as well and i felt like a wooden plank - but i decided to give it a go after all. 

as it turns out, the practice was a really good one.  it was a very different thing, overall;  i felt, in a way, much more aware of what i was doing and how things affected my body. and the really interesting thing is that even if i still was a little bit stiffer than normally (much less so than on saturday, though), the feeling the practice left me with can only be described as incredible. not that i wouldn't feel great after an evening practice, but this was different kind of amazing; perhaps it was the trace of serenity in it.

so it was a really good experience for me; and even if i most certainly won't switch my morning runs into morning practice, i think i will adopt it on my schedule every now and then - perhaps for the day of the week i am not running. either way, i'm glad to have reminded myself of this another fantastic way to start a day.



No comments: